• Is Your Property Ready to Let?
  • Is Your Property Ready to Let?
  • Is Your Property Ready to Let?
  • Is Your Property Ready to Let?
  • Is Your Property Ready to Let?


What you legally require before you can successfully let: 


Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

All landlords in England and Wales are required to have an Energy Performance Certificate with a minimum rating of an "E" for their property.

Landlord Gas Safety Certificate

gas safeIf your property is equipped with gas appliances you need to understand and comply with the law relating to gas safety.

You must make sure that pipework, appliances and flues provided for tenant's are maintained in a safe condition.

The Gas Safety certificate needs to be renewed annually by a registered GAS SAFE engineer. Your tenant’s must be given a copy of the certificate within 28 days of it being carried out or before they move in.

Electrical Safety Regulations

Landlords must ensure a valid EICR certificate is in place at the beginning of a tenancy and every electrical installation in their residential premises is inspected and tested at intervals of no more than 5 years by a qualified and competent person.

Consent to Let

It is important that before you decide to let your property you acquire the consent of any third party such as mortgage provider, leaseholders or management companies who have an interest in the dwelling.

fire resistantFurniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 (Amended 1989 and 1993)

The above act covers all upholstery and upholstered furniture left within the property by the landlord.

Make sure any furniture left in the property carries the 'fire resistant' label otherwise the furniture will have to be removed before a tenant can move in.

Smoke Detectors Act 1991

This Act governs the necessity for hard wired smoke detectors to be installed into all newly built properties since 1991. All properties built since 1991 must be fitted with mains operated smoke alarms and although there is no specific regulations stating that older properties must have them Berriman Eaton LLP strongly urge landlords to have at least one alarm on each level of the property.


Make sure you have comprehensive, specialist cover for the building and remaining contents. Most standard homeowner policies may well be invalidated when you let your property. Please contact us to arrange for a free quote to ensure you are fully covered correctly.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm

You must install a carbon monoxide detector/alarm in any room that is used partly or wholly as living accommodation and contains an appliance that burns solid fuel. The legal obligation to do so lies with the landlord and failure to comply could result in a fine of up to £5000.00.

Legionnaires Risk Assessment

The Legionnaires Risk Assessment assesses the tenant’s risk of exposure to Legionella bacteria when living in a property. Landlords are required to do the following or appoint someone competent to do it on their behalf:

  • Understand Legionella bacteria and Legionnaires disease
  • Be able to identify and assess sources of risk
  • Manage those risks
  • Prevent and control any risks
  • Keep records and carry out any legal duties

For more advice, please contact us.